Thursday, February 23, 2006

Mardi Gras Sidebar: Q&A with Christine Portella

Celebrating a 'passion for life'

February 23, 2006


A native of Brazil's party central, Rio de Janeiro, Brazilian Promotions' Christine Portella grew up reveling in the Carnaval spirit.

For the past 14 years, she and her business partner, Steve Spencer, have produced San Diego's Brazil Carnaval. This year's Carnaval is set for 4th & B Saturday night.

Portella took a few minutes to share her views on Carnaval, Mardi Gras and our ability to celebrate life after misfortune.

Question: Do you remember what it was like growing up in Rio and experiencing Carnaval every year?

Answer: I was born in Rio. I was raised in both countries (the United States and Brazil). My first eight years were here in the U.S. When I was 8, I moved back to Brazil. So my first language is English and I had never even heard Portuguese prior to moving back to Brazil.

It was a drastic change for an 8-year-old. When we moved, it was February during Carnaval. I remember walking in the streets and holding my little sister's hand. All the people in the streets – dancing and singing all day long – I thought my mom had gone crazy bringing us back there.

Q: Do you have a favorite memory from your Carnavals in Rio?

A: A passion for life is such a fundamental (part) of the culture, that I could never pinpoint one favorite. Every single Carnaval that I have been to down there has been an amazing event.

Q: A big theme this year in Fat Tuesday parties is celebrating life after tragedy, specifically the ordeal New Orleans had to endure with Hurricane Katrina. People in Rio probably have to deal with poverty and tragedy on a daily basis. Can you talk about the idea of letting loose for a day in regards to living in Rio and how that applies to this year's celebrations?

A: Again, there is such a passion for life in Brazil. There is a lot of poverty. I'm not proud of this, but it's shocking how much of the country can't read, much less write. We can go on and on about the political, economic and social issues that Brazil is going through. But, regardless, the spirit of Carnaval is celebrated throughout the year.

– CHRIS NIXON