Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Sia Furler in Night&Day

'Six Feet' gave her work yards of exposure

By Chris Nixon
For the San Diego Union-Tribune
March 30, 2006


As more high-profile television shows like “The O.C.” adopt music-video stylings with glossy montages and artsy cinematography, television soundtracks provide the perfect conduit for musicians to access larger audiences. Australian-born vocalist Sia Furler experienced firsthand the dramatic effect TV can have on a music career. Featured during the closing scene of “Six Feet Under's” final show, her song “Breathe Me” immediately rocketed into public consciousness.

“I approved usage of the song, but I had no idea in what context,” said Furler from Los Angeles where she was rehearsing her band for a tour starting in San Diego Saturday. “I woke one morning and went to the computer; I had about 15 e-mails from all my American friends basically filled with expletives and exclamation points. Everyone was watching the final heartbreaking montage and it was my song as the soundtrack. I was pretty excited, obviously. Within a couple of days, the song had gone to No. 4 on Amazon.com.”

Originally featured on Sia's 2004 UK album “Colour the Small One,” the song hadn't caused much of a stir with fans or critics until its appearance on “Six Feet Under.” Punctuated by Furler's soulful, intimate vocals and subtle downtempo electronic pop, the song's sweet sincerity struck a chord with viewers and gave the album a new life.

But Furler (who records under her first name) experienced the fickle nature of success in the music industry. Born in Adelaide, Australia, she jammed in funk and soul bands, honing her skills as a vocalist before moving to London. There, she hooked up with an inexperienced manager who helped her sign a deal that, she said, hurt her development as an artist: “He signed me to a pretty crummy record deal. I really didn't know anything about it. I was fine as long as I could pay my phone bill and my electricity bill.”

The record deal yielded one hit in the United Kingdom, “Taken for Granted,” but her debut album, “Healing Is Difficult,” was slow to hit shelves in stores. Interest in it fizzled.

Meanwhile, producers Henry Binns and Sam Hardaker of Zero 7 heard her tapes and asked her to participate in the band's debut disc, “Simple Things.” She also will sing on Zero 7's upcoming release “The Garden.” She toured with Zero 7 (along with Tina Dico, who performed here a few weeks ago at the Casbah), but her solo career stood at a standstill until “Six Feet Under” came along.

“Colour the Small One” just saw a release in the United States with her new label Astralwerks. Needless to say, Furler is excited about touring with her top-notch group.

“I hope they're my band forever, although I imagine they won't be because they're so good,” said Furler, whose band includes drummer Joey Waronker, guitarist Guy Seyffert, keyboardist Joseph John Kennedy, bassist Sam Dixon and cellist Ollie Kraus. “I'm sure they'll outgrow me or I won't be able to afford them at some stage.”

She's particularly happy with Waronker (R.E.M., Smashing Pumpkins, Beck) taking a seat behind the drum kit: “He's actually a producer these days, but he's doing me a favor by going out on tour with me. He's so engaging to watch and so tasty and beautiful in his playing.”

Despite her recent success, Furler refuses to get a big head about it all.

“I'm a little nervous because I know that 'Breathe Me' is definitely the best song on the album so it can only go downhill from here,” said Furler, a bit scarred from her previous encounters with the music industry. “They're probably going to choose 'Numb,' because we already have a video for it and they seem to think it will work well in the American market. I prefer 'Sunday,' but I guess one of the things I've learned is to let people get on with their business. Sometimes, you don't have to be in control. Sometimes, they do know better.”

Chris Nixon is a San Diego music writer.