Friday, August 24, 2007

311: One monkey has his say

I've always been on the fence about 311. They're definitely good musicians and proficient technically on their respective instruments. Their music always felt pretty good as background music at parties, but on closer listen the one word that comes to mind is "Lite." Metal lite. Rap lite. Rock lite. Dub lite.

But I went into last Saturday's show with an open mind, ready to give these Omaha transplants a chance. Plus they had English Beat and Matisyahu to bolster the lineup.

First, a few words about Coors. I know there's a back way to get to this venue, but I have yet to find it (if anyone has a tip to get there faster when there's a big crowd, give me a holler via a comment). Essentially, there's one way in, one way out. So it's always a headache to drive to this venue. After creeping along for a half a hour from the 805 to the parking lot, my wife Lisa and I sauntered up to the ticket window to grab our guest passes. A huge line awaited us, stretching about a football field long. I wanted to see English Beat (even though I know it's not '80 and it's not the original lineup), but instead spent 50 minutes in line with the sounds of Dave Wakeling's voice off in the distance. He plays locally pretty often (I believe Mr. Wakeling lives in North County), so I'll get another chance to see this band soon.

After fighting traffic and lines, Lis and I finally made our way into Coors. To their credit, they do carry a local microbrew now (Coronado), but it will cost you $13 for 22 ounces. I grabbed a beer scuttled to a spot in the general admission pit area just in time for Matisyahu. This is a solid reggae band, but lead singer Matisyahu is a bit preachy for my tastes. I get the whole link between traditional Hasidic Jewish beliefs and reggae (Zion and such), but I'd be better pleased if these guys let the music bring me to a spiritual place instead of long-winded diatribes and endless banter between songs. That said, Matisyahu is obviously a gifted MC and vocalist. Music with a message is fine (emphasis on music), but dub/reggae is the band's strength.

Now back to the headliners 311. I wanted them to be good. I really did. I admire their daring attempts at mixing rock, dub, funk, rap and reggae. I also admire their willingness to politicize lyrics and their non-ego-driven world view. I also enjoyed talking with Tim Mahoney to preview the show. He was a down-to-earth, easy-going person and is a talented guitarist.

As soon as lead singer Nick Hexum emerged donning a sleeveless muscle shirt emblazoned with "The Clash" (somewhere Joe Strummer is rolling in his grave), I knew we were in trouble. The crowd was really into it, and they should've been. 311 plays SoCal music.

But my biggest fears about 311 were confirmed. Not hard enough to be good metal. Not stoney enough to be good reggae. Not soulful enough to be good hip-hop. When I say "soulful," I'm referring to music born from strife and overcoming obstacles. While I'm sure 311 has hopped hurdles in its career, this is middle-class music made by the children of middle-class America.

RECAP
Venue: Lousy traffic control and ticket pick-up along with high beer prices, but I've come to expect that from Coors.

Sound: Actually quite good for a large venue. Coors usually gets bounce back from the brick wall at the back of the amphitheater, but I didn't experience any echo.

Crowd: Overly enthusiastic, but you can't ever fault the normally stoic San Diego crowd for getting into live music.

Performance: Disappointing. Simply, 311 are a bunch of well-meaning cheeseballs. Matisyahu was solid, but preachy. And English Beat gets a pass.

To quote Fishbone: Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. Just one monkey's opinion.